Τελευταίος σταθμός North West 200 για τον Simon Andrews

Τελευταίος σταθμός North West 200 για τον Simon Andrews  

Από: dimchrist στις 20/05/2014 12:12 πμ.

Οι αγώνες σε δημόσιους δρόμους είναι το λιγότερο εντυπωσιακοί αλλά και πάρα πολύ επικίνδυνοι.
Για κάποιους αυτός ο ενθουσιασμός και η αδρεναλίνη δεν μπορεί να κοπεί και συνεχίζουν ακάθεκτοι.
Οι αθλητές χρειάζονται τεράστια ψυχικά αποθέματα και απόλυτη συγκέντρωση σε κάθε αγώνα.
Μια στιγμή και μόνο αρκεί για να πάνε όλα στραβά και αυτό συνέβει με τον Simon Andrews το προηγούμενο Σάββατο στο North West 200 της Βόρειας Ιρλανδίας. Ο Andrews μεταφέρθηκε άμεσα σε νοσοκομείο στο Belfast αλλά δυστυχώς απεβίωσε σήμερα...

Υπάρχει βιντεάκι από το ατύχημα όποιοι δεν αντέχουν τέτοιες καταστάσεις καλύτερα να μη το δούνε.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x73I_7SCRVU

RIP

North West 200: Motorcyclist Simon Andrews dies after crash in Northern Ireland road race

A motorcyclist who crashed while competing in the North West 200 road race in Northern Ireland has died, the event organisers have announced.

Simon Andrews was airlifted to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast after suffering a high-speed accident at the Metropole corner. Andrews was competing in the second Superstock race of the event aboard his Penz13.com BMW.

Oulton Park, May 2014

A statement from the North West 200 said the rider, who was airlifted from the course, died in Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital today with his parents Stuart and Dee and girlfriend Lisa among those at his bedside.

His father paid tribute to the Penz13.com BMW team rider.

"Simon loved road racing and he loved competing at the North West 200," he said.

"He has had a motorbike since he was four years old and started racing when he was 16. From that first race Simon progressed to riding for the factory Honda TT Legends team and his Mum and I are very proud of his racing achievements.
(Simon Andrews was named the Isle of Man TT Best Newcomer in 2011).

"Road racing was in his blood and Simon preferred the roads to short circuits. He was fully aware of the dangers involved but he loved the challenge that that offered. Simon always said 'Once you've been on the roads there's nothing else to compare with it'.

"Simon made his road racing debut at the North West 200 in 2011. He loved the racing, the relaxed atmosphere and the fans he met there. Simon always said that the North West fans were the most knowledgeable in the world as they knew everything about the sport and the bikes.

"Ireland had a special place in his heart as he scored his first ever championship point in a meeting at Mondello Park (Co Kildare).

"Simon loved children and I always remember how he would kneel down to be at the same height as the kids who asked him for his autograph or picture.

"Throughout his career Simon has always been involved with various charities and that is why we have made a donation of his organs today. Simon always wanted that to happen."

North West 200 event director Mervyn Whyte said: "This is a very sad day and I want to offer my condolences to Simon's family and friends and to his race team.

"Simon was a superb rider and a great character in the paddock. He was a huge asset to our race. It was an absolute pleasure to work with him and he was always very ful when we asked for his assistance. He will be sadly missed by everyone at the North West 200."

Andrews’ accident on Saturday was the second major crash of the 2014 meeting after Frenchman Franck Petricola suffered critical injuries during practice on Tuesday.

PA copy used in this story

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon Andrews 1984-2014 19 May 2014

Crash.net looks back on the career of Simon Andrews that was tragically cut short by an incident at the North West 200.

The British racing community is coming to terms with the news of Simon Andrews' death that came on Tuesday afternoon after a serious crash at the North West 200.

Andrews was gravely injured in an incident on the stretch between Magherabuoy and Portrush during the Superstock race on Saturday and was immediately airlifted to the Great Victoria hospital in Belfast.

The 29-year old was competing in the British Superbike Championship aboard the RAF Reserves Honda as well as the International roads meetings at which he had been competing since 2011.

Hailing from Evesham in Worcestershire, Andrews began riding at the age of four and later claimed he was “hooked for life” on motorcycle racing when he attended the British Grand Prix as an eight year old kid.

He was forced to wait until his sixteenth birthday before attaining his license to go racing and after several successful meetings at club level in 1998 and '99 he progressed to the British Championship a year later.

2002 saw his emergence as one of the country's most exciting young talents as he competed in the British Supersport series alongside the European Superstock Championship. He scored podium finishes at five events in the UK and points on several occasions on the continent to finish 24th overall, aged just 18.

A year later and Andrews gained official support from Yamaha UK and the year proved to be the most successful in terms of championship position raced to third place overall in the ultra-competitive national Supersport series with the Red Piranha Racing outfit.

Three years followed in Supersport before he moved into the British Superbike class in 2006 where he put in several impressive rides aboard the Jentin Racing Yamaha in 2008. He comfortably finished ahead of the official Yamaha entry, and was rewarded with the MSS Colchester Kawasaki berth for 2009. There he scored consistent top six finishes on his way to sixth overall in the championship, earning his debut podium in the class at Cadwell Park along the way.

Simon's upward trajectory through the national racing ranks was blighted by several serious crashes in the following years where Simon sustained career-threatening injuries on several occasions. Yet he always showed incredible resolve and determination to return from each setback.

The first in a series of serious injuries came at Valencia in 2010 where he deputised for Chris Vermeulen in the Kawasaki World Superbike squad. A collision in the second race broke his heel and a year later his leg was run over by another bike at Snetterton. That incident required extensive surgery and it came just weeks after a scintillating TT debut, when he became the fastest newcomer at the event.

Just months later he made a heroic return with the Honda TT Legends Endurance team with his courage winning him plaudits and respect from fans and fellow competitors alike. When road racer Cameron Donald saw the agony Andrews was going through to line up on the grid he commented, “Simon's phenomenal. I just think, 'man, he must be riding with some commitment. For what he's going through with his injuries…there's some serious respect there,” he told the popular TT Legends TV series.

Having made so much progress with the leg Andrew's 2012 only lasted as long as June when an incident competing at the Isle of Man TT put him out of action for that year and an unfortunate incident at the Le Mans 24-hour race again prematurely ended 2013.

Speaking of his remarkable will power to continue fighting for fitness Andrews said, “Racing's such a drug. You can't just turn your back on it. I'd never walk away. It's just made me appreciate things more. I'm fortunate enough to make enough money to make a living out of it. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.”

Andrews' was still undeterred and returned to full fitness for 2014, which he celebrated by announcing a welcome return to BSB competition with the RAF Reserves Honda outfit, with whom he had competed in several Superstock 1000 races a year earlier.

In addition, he planned to compete at the North West 200 and Isle of Man TT with the Penz13.com BMW squad to build on the promise of his burgeoning road racing career. Tragically these plans will not come to fruition after today's news.

British Superbike Director Stuart Higgs, who knew Andrews throughout his racing career said, "I am deeply saddened by today's news. I've known Simon since he made his British Championship debut in 2000. He was extremely highly regarded and his comebacks from serious injuries in recent years earned the utmost admiration and total respect of everyone. On behalf of the Championship I would like to extend our deepest condolences to Simon's father Stuart, his mother Dee, his sister Claire and all his family, friends and team members."

Crash.net would like to extend its deepest sympathies to Simon's family and friends on this sad day.

Crash.net

Triple Way

Re: Τελευταίος σταθμός North West 200 για τον Simon Andrews  

Από: saligkaros στις 20/05/2014 12:54 πμ.

Wow!!!
Ανατριχιασα....
νομιζω πως θα το σκεφτομαι για ημερες αυτο...
Ειναι, ομως, κομματι του παιχνιδιου του road racing.
Δεν γινεται να βγει απ´ την εξισωση.

Παντα ορθιοι ολοι!