Ducati Multistrada 2013 vs 2010, what really changes?

23/10/2012
Francesco Mapelli Mozzi

One of our passionate and experienced player has tested the new Ducati Multistrada model by comparing it with its Multistrada, the previous model. What really changes in everyday use?

A love at first sight, that feel great and immediate that you feel when you try a bike that seems tailor-made. I experienced this two years ago when I used the Multistrada 1200 S for a test. In June 2011 and 'got my S Touring, with whom I traveled 8000 km and use throughout the year. then I accepted with pleasure and curiosity 'invitation to try the new version of my beloved red 2013, where it is directly produced in the legendary factory in Borgo Panigale.

I must say that passed through the gates of the factory gave me a special feeling, comparable to that experienced when I went to Maranello to visit the Ferrari. For a Ducati enthusiast and 'the culmination of a dream, enhanced by the visit to the museum where they collected the bike more 'significant, from the beginning of production to the current MotoGP. Wherever you go you feel endless passion for the bike and all that surroundings. Noteworthy is the glance of the Multistrada lined up in the parking lot, ready for the test. After the briefing in which the chief engineer of the project shows us the news' and the characteristics of the new model, the legendary Beppe Gualini shows us around we're going to do on the surrounding hills, structured on different routes and road surfaces, so you can test the Multi with all riding modes present.

RIDING
Nothing new compared to mine, the driving position is excellent and relaxing , and everything 'at hand. The differences are in the front fairing, more 'high and wide, equipped with an ingenious system of adjustment, which allows to move it using one hand even while driving, nell'interruttore red ignition larger and in the glove box on the dashboard of the right plus and a closing more 'secure.

ENGINE
It starts in configuration Urban , from the first meters perceive the difference in the delivery and the diversity of behavior. I've never had my tears at low speeds claimed by many, just gently open the throttle and you are traveling at 2000 rpm like clockwork. This engine, however, is much rounder and fuller from low revs and calls for a less frequent use of the exchange rate , being able to shoot without hesitation even in high gears at low speeds. It seems to use a maxi scooter, easy and agile, always ready with a motor.
The music changes in the subsequent sections of the test, when you set up in sequence configurations Sport , Enduro and finally Touring. The exuberant power is always there, but the back stronger at lower speeds makes driving less tiring, being able to shoot without constantly climbing and allowing you to focus on the trajectories, with clear advantages on the effectiveness of the guide.

CHASSIS
The semi-active suspension give a strange feeling at the front in the first few miles, the mine is intuitive and seems to have always guided as this at first sight seems to be different, with the fork that hardens progressively clamped on the brakes while my sinks decidedly especially in detached energetic, but still remained controllable. This disorientation hard but 'only a few corners, we Configuration Sport, because what perplexed at the beginning becomes an added value once you understand , the bike moves very less in weight transfer during acceleration and braking, remain significantly neutral and maintaining the optimal structure.
Consequently, in conjunction with the smoother the engine, the ease and precision driving will earn, allowing you to get more 'strong but with less effort , feeling a major sense of control and safety when driving. Significant then the difference in entering curve: mine, while intuitive and easy, was placed in the way, this goes there alone and you get lean angles without any significant effort. The simplicity of the guide is further exacerbated by the behavior of the suspension, which smooth out the bumps of the road, together with an increase of both the braking behavior of ABS, now really at the top.

For those nostalgic for the motion "ignorant" to carburetors, no electronics and other gadgets get on the MY 2013 will appear as the lead ship of Star Trek, but for those who want an easy bike and very rewarding in all situations, this new Multistrada offers a step into the future with high safety margins that make it suitable for a wide audience, including motorcyclists with average experience.

http://www.moto.it/